Meyer Lemon Chia Pudding

I’m excited to share with you today this recipe for Meyer lemon chia pudding.  About a year ago, I was walking through a Costco and ran into a gigantic bag of chia seeds and wondered how to use them.  This particular item had come up a few times in podcasts and reading as a seed high in fat, fiber, and protein, but I didn’t know much about it.

After some further research, I decided chia seeds were worth a shot, especially seeing some applications out there—you have probably walked through a health food store that had several varieties of kombucha with chia seed.  While we haven’t tried making homemade chia seed kombucha—that’s a challenge for another day—we have experimented with “puddings.” This Meyer lemon chia pudding is delicious.  It’s a great mid-day snack. Lately, I have enjoyed it as a filling dessert while going through my 21 Day Sugar Detox. (In the past, moving away from processed foods left me feeling full but undernourished and weight fell off too quickly; so this time, I’m trying to find the right balance and this treat is helping.)  If you have 5-7 minutes, you have time to prep this pudding.  It’s worth it.

chia-pudding-prep

Ingredients
12 oz full-fat coconut milk
4 Tbsp chia seeds
Juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon (other lemon will suffice)
1/8 tsp lemon zest

Method

adding-to-chia-pudding

Pour coconut milk into a container, along with the chia seeds.  For this, we used an old ghee container.  Also add in lemon juice and zest. Then, shake well.

resting-chia-pudding

Leave in the refrigerator to set at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.

finished-chia-pudding

Dish up and serve.  We hope you’ll enjoy this very easy Meyer lemon chia pudding.

31 Comments

1. buttoni says:

Oh, and my brand new Meyer Lemon tree I got last year is just this week setting 12-15 little baby lemons! I’ll have to try this. Sounds delicious. But I think I’ll just go buy some of the Meyer lemons I saw yesterday at the store. I don’t want to wait until Spring/Summer to try this! :)

• Heather Gerum (virginia is for hunter-gatherers) says:

When we’ve used chia seeds in the past, they haven’t added any distinct flavor.

• Karen says:

Chia has no flavor. It absorbs whatever liquid it comes in contact with. A great plant protein that is so versatile. Stores well too. We like because it is quick protein.

2. amanda says:

I make a version of this for breakfast a lot – I add in some cocoa powder and mix, then add in some frozen berries and put it in the fridge overnight. I like it warmed up in the microwave with a little ginger and cinnamon on top too. The lemon sounds deeeeelicious, I will have to try it this way!

3. Pingback: Lemon Chia Seed Pudding | A Wee Nest

4. Shelene says:

I’m making this tonight to put in the fridge – so excited! I have an old ghee jar too. ;) How many servings is this recipe?

• Heather Gerum (virginia is for hunter-gatherers) says:

I would say you can get 4+ servings, depending on how hungry you are and whether you’re eating it alone or as a small side/dessert dish.

5. Pingback: I’m On The “Air Diet” | Foodie Stroll

6. Pingback: October Unprocessed: Recipe Inspiration | Whole Sweet Health

• Suzie, you could use another nut milk, but it may result in a more liquid final result. You may want to consider being a little generous on the chia seed to make sure the consistency isn’t too thin.

7. Tanya says:

Just made this but didn’t want 1/2 lemon left over so doubled it by adding 1 1/2 cup soy milk (and doubled chia). I was looking for a way to get more calcium in. Chia seeds are perfect. And I had just bought my first Meyer lemons!! Looking forward to having it for breakfast tomorrow!

8. Suzanne Ziesmann says:

I just tried this but used a bit more meyer lemon juice and extra zest….plus a little regular lemon..I like lemon! To balance, a little stevia, and one teaspoon maple syrup- so not very sweet and still low sugar. It’s very good, and begs for a few raspberries for the top. I can tell it would be fine without the sweetener, if you add the berries. Would still seem like a nice light dessert. I like tapioca pudding, so this reminds me of it.